You Are Reading

20.10.10

Are you wearing purple?



I've never really liked the colour purple - if I were to stray from black, grey or white I tend to prefer earthier, neutral tones.

Colour preferences aside, today (on my side of the International Dateline) is October 20th: Spirit Day, where people will wear purple in remembrance of those who have taken their own lives in recent weeks as victims of bullying and/or homophobia.

As someone who has many homosexual friends and has witnessed homophobic bullying, the fight for LGBT equal marriage rights and against homophobia is incredibly close to my heart and one that I take very seriously. You would think that in the 21st century, considering how far we have come and how much we have learnt about discrimination, ignorance and hate and how destructive they are on an individual or a whole community, that this is a fight that should have been resolved long ago. But it isn't.

Six lives (and countless more) later and we are still fighting.

So wear purple on October 20th to show your solidarity - whether you are gay or straight - let's stand together as human beings, which is what people seem to forget sometimes when they see someone who is a bit 'different'.

I am wearing a purple jumper, which is the ONE purple thing I own even though it's a gorgeous sunny day outside. Who cares. This cause is bigger than my sweat.

2 comments:

Abi said...

This is such a good cause. Only hearing about it for the first time so I'm not wearing purple. But no one deserves to a victim of bullying.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Karen said...

I'm only happy to do by bit for this cause. It's sad that we still have to talk about it at all.

By the way, thanks for coming back to my dinky little blog! I never check for comments because I don't ever expect to get any - it's so hard to get a blog off the ground!

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger.