You Are Reading

25.11.10

What are you thankful for?

I have always loved the idea of Thanksgiving.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia. When I did my year of exchange in Michigan in high school, I looked forward more to Thanksgiving than I did Christmas. There's something about Thanksgiving that seems to carry more weight than other holidays - and I'm talking not just about the turkey, the first snowfall of the year or the flowing of drinks and merriment.

It is probably the absence of presents. It means the holiday stands out as a time to reflect on and celebrate the things that mean most to us. It probably doesn't sound like a lot, especially when you have grown up with the tradition. But I think the message of the day is important, and beautiful.

I struggle to think of a time, since arriving home from my year in Michigan where I made time to stop and smell the roses. With life taking us in all different directions - peaks, troughs, laughter, tantrums - things can really get away from us sometimes. Moments of clarity where you do appreciate and give thanks for all the blessings that make it worth getting out of bed are rare amongst all the obstacles thrown our way.

So while it is still the last Thursday in November for the next few hours, I am going to have my own Thanksgiving day - being thankful for all that makes me smile. I will bask in the joy of knowing that there are things in my life to be thankful for. In my case, those "things" are many and beautiful.

So happy Thanksgiving, one and all! I hope that your celebration (whether it is part of tradition or a thoughtful reflection) is as meaningful and heartwarming for you as it will be for me.

1 comment:

Abi said...

Thanksgiving is long gone here in Toronto, and it's not really a holiday that's celebrated back home in London. Nonetheless, I love the spirit of the season. I'm thankful for everything, big and small.

Happy thanksgiving. Have a wonderful day!

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger.